A Short History of Junkers Camp, Bettenhausen, KasselDonald F. McGonigal, UNRRA, 1947 (monograph)
- 19 -
On September 19th, Miss Tabard states in her first monthly report (the questionnaire for this report had been drafted at UNRRA HQ at 12th Army Group, by Mr. Leonard Doughty) that the team had one three-quarter ton Opel truck, one Ford truck, one ambulance, three Opel sedans, one Mercedes sedan and one Fiat sedan, in condition ranging from poor to good. All of these vehicles were listed as "captured".
She wrote that trucking facilities were usually adequate to meet the needs of the center, and the gasoline supply was adequate, but added that unavailability of spare parts was a serious problem. She did not mention the horse and card of the first phase.
In September two 2½ ton GMC trucks and one Weapons Carrier were received.
On July 5th, the team acquired a French DP, Robert Tavenot, from Mr. U.O. Jonckheere who was hen Director of Team 53 at Camp Mattenberg, and used him as a driver and later as a transport officer. He became a Class II employee and later a Class I driver, and gave very good service until he was liquidated in the great reorganizational purge of October 1946.
Supply in the second phase became relatively regularized, particularly after the USFET Order of October 23rd, but it was still far from the complicated and ever-changing procedure it became when Military Government turned over the responsibility for DPs to the so-called tactical units. It was still possible to requisition on Form 400 many types of articles and services from what is generally referred to as the German Economy. The appropriate Military Government Officer was usually ready to sign such a requisition, the Burgomeister paid promptly without protest, and the chief difficulty of the Supply Officer was finding something to requisition.
The bulk of the DP food ration came from the G-5 warehouse in Kassel, and fresh vegetables, fruit and certain cereals came from the
|||U.S. Forces European Theater|