A Short History of Junkers Camp, Bettenhausen, KasselDonald F. McGonigal, UNRRA, 1947 (monograph) | bit.ly/cfbh_junkers
- 39 -
not as serious as in some others, thanks to the ingenuity and numerous local connections of Dr. van Ackere.
Supply - Engineer Items
In the early part of 1946, the Supply Officer of Junkers Camp made several trips to the engineer depot at Mainz Kastel where he obtained a certain quantity of glass, nails, cement, roofing paper, and so on, upon a simple requisition. It was still possible in the early part of the year to obtain some of these items locally upon the basis of a requisition on Form 400 approved by the Supply Officer of the local Military Government Detachment F 14, but not many of these items were available locally, and the F 14 officer was somewhat capricious in his decisions to approve or disapprove a requisition.
Later, it became necessary to submit engineer's drawings and specifications covering winterization, repair or new construction, and the 333rd. Engineers received the plans for the addition to the camp hospital, after it had been approved by the UNRRA District Engineer, Mr. Franz Esanders, and finally obtained what is known as a "project number" which carried with it authorization to obtain building materials and labor. The Kassel detachment of the 333rd. Engineers supervised the work on the hospital addition until December when their functions were taken over by a so-called Area Engineer, whose office was set up in Kassel.
Light bulbs were the engineers item most difficult to get, and although it was learned on good authority that there were hundreds of thousands of light bulbs in the engineer depots, it appeared practically impossible even for other army units to get any, a condition which was said to be largely the result of shortage of staff in the depots.
Supply - UNRRA
UNRRA supplies, except for amenity items and clothing collected