- 46 -
In spite of its rather pretentious name, the "University", which opened with 405 students, has filled a real need, and it continues to operate with success, as evidence that the Latvians, although they have lost their country and their worldly possessions, have not lost their spirit of enterprise.
The camp has sent six students to the University of Marburg, one to Heidelburg, and one Professor to the DP University at Munich.
The Latvian Choir, which fell on evil days with the departure of the composer who had acted as conductor, was revived in May, 1946 when a conductor was brought from Bavaria. It now numbers 50 members, rehearses three times a week, and gives frequent concerts.
The theatrical group had become inactive, but it was revived in August, and began making its own costumes for a membership of 20, as well as its own sets. Its first performance in November was a great success.
Permanent Art Exhibits
Both the Latvians and the Estonians have permanent art exhibits in rooms in a basement of one of the barracks filled with furniture, rugs, wrought iron objects, copper ware, needle work an other articles made by the DPs in designs based on their national traditions.
Boy Scouts and Girl Guides
These organizations continued to grow in 1946 and were an extremely beneficial influence on the life of the community. The Scouts and Guides combined to publish a little magazine twice a month, a copy of which is enclosed.
Other Clubs and Camp Activities
A group called "Mother and Child" was organized in early 1946