A Short History of Junkers Camp, Bettenhausen, KasselDonald F. McGonigal, UNRRA, 1947 (monograph)
- 36 -
the hospital ration established by the order of October 11th., which was especially deficient in fats, and by the limitation on extra rations for special diets to 2% of the population regardless of need. As Junkers camp has a high number of closed TB cases, under-weight children and others requiring supplementary rations, the two per cent allowance was not sufficient to meet these needs.
The order of October 11th. restricted the foodstuffs to be supplied by the Army to certain staples and the balance was to come from the German economy. The drawing of fresh rations from German sources frequently involved calls at many different places and a certain amount of delay. The quality of the fresh meat obtained by Junkers Camp at one period became so bad that Mme. Laborde called on the German official concerned and complained. He replied that he was powerless to change matters, and took Mme. Laborde to the abbatoir, where they found a representative of the Jewish infiltree camps earmarking all the best cattle for kosher use. Mme. Laborde promptly protested and arranged matters in such a way that Junkers camp now gets as good fresh meat as any other camp, if not better.
Supply - Clothing and Amenities
In the early part of 1946, shoes and clothing supplies and amenity items were obtained from the UNRRA warehouse at Hanau, and it was the aim of the Supply Officer at Junkers Camp to reach Hanau as early in the morning as possible when supplies needed became available at that warehouse from time to time. In this way, the camp was reasonably well supplied with clothing, although it was never possible to get a sufficient number of layettes, and the camp suffered, along with others, from a lack of certain sizes in shoes and clothes, and from the fact that most of the shoes were canvas, if new, or so worn-out, if second-hand, that many of them could not be used.